Tuesday, January 19, 2010

And Still We Rise Assignment 3

I never grew up in poverty, nor have I been moved through an infinite number of foster homes. I never had abusive parents. I never had to live on my own and support myself. But still, even in my relatively prosperous life, I challenge myself in school and extracurricular activities outside school. Somehow I balance all these things in my life and come out pretty successful in all that I do. Because of this, I would have to say that my talent is dedication.

Usually seniors in high school like to take cruise classes to just “enjoy” their last year. I almost did that this year, but suddenly changed my mind. I decided to four core classes—including AP English, AP Psychology, Trigonometry and Human Physiology—even though it’s not required to take a math or science. I’m also in Newswriting (which is basically like a job but without getting paid with all the before school and after school hours it requires).

But I do have a job now to try and offset all the spending I do when I go out or when I buy clothes and whatnot. And though I still do live with my parents, my mom has started making me pay for my own necessities, like toothpaste and shampoo and shaving cream, etc. Usually I work eight hour shifts on the weekends or if I work on the weekdays, I don’t get home until almost ten. Then I still have to do my homework, but usually I try to get it done early so I don’t have to worry about it since work makes me tired.

Another activity that makes me tired is soccer. And though the season is only two-three months long, we have practice everyday and games twice a week and our only rest day is Sunday. But then I work on Sundays so I never really have a rest day.

So far this winter, I’ve been extremely exhausted. With school, work, soccer, and even college stuff now, I feel like I never have enough time for anything. But I do have dedication to everything I do. I dedicate myself to school because I’ve never known myself to fail in anything, and I wasn’t about to start now. Plus I’m part of the school newspaper and failing in that is unacceptable because I’m affecting 2000-plus people. I’m dedicated to work because I actually like what I do and I don’t want to let my co-workers down. They’re like my friends now and I don’t want to be a disappointment. And obviously, I don’t want to get fired and lose my job. Getting a job is pretty hard these days with such a tough economy. I’m dedicated to soccer because it’s my outlet for stress since I get to run around. Plus I have fun with the girls and I don’t get fat because of the constant exercise.

My “talent” is pretty similar to Miesha’s. I guess I could say I persevere too. Sometimes I feel like quitting because I get so tired and I just want to rest and have time for myself. But I know if I can handle all of this now, I can definitely handle college and a career later on in life when I want to have a family and everything. I know life will never be easy. That’s why I make sure I can handle the challenges it throws at me now.


__________________________


I think Jesus’ point is that if you have a talent, don’t let it go to waste. It’s clearly shown because the master was satisfied that the first two servants used the gold for something useful and he was mad when the third one just buries it the ground and wastes it.

It connects to Miesha because she used her talent of perseverance to succeed and get ahead. Even though she faced domestic hardships, she didn’t let that affect her schoolwork and her desire to accomplish something great. She realized that she was blessed with a gift that not too many kids in the South Central have, and she didn’t want to put it to waste. She has an opportunity to be something, unlike many of her peers, and she won’t bury it in the ground.

It also connects to me because I guess I’m blessed with the ability to be dedicated and work hard in whatever I do. I’m not a gifted genius, so I do have to put in the time and effort. My drive to succeed makes me want to work hard and I don’t want to fail. Mililani is full of gifted students, and I’d like to believe that I am one of those students. We’re all given “gold” like in Jesus’ story, and I’m not going to be the one to bury it in the fields to waste it. Like Miesha, I want to succeed in life, so I’ll do what it takes to get ahead.

The story works on more than one level because there’s the superficial lesson that if you’re given gold, be wise and spend it, not put it the ground where it’ll be of no use to anyone. Then there’s the deeper level where Jesus is really trying to say that if you’re given a talent, you don’t waste it so that it won’t be of any use to anyone. Not everyone is blessed with a talent, and it’d be a shame if it gets buried in the ground.

6 comments:

  1. I thought you did a really good job with this essay because it was very clear and concise, no ramblings or unnecessary additives. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your response because I think you did a good job of balancing the connections to your own life as well as referencing Meisha and the story of Jesus' Parable to Talents. Everything you wrote about was necessary and clear. I also liked how you gave both the superficial and deeper meanings of story; very insightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kel,
    I liked reading the first part of your response because it was really easy to read, understand and connect to. It is very true that in lives such as ours we don't have to live in poverty or foster homes but we still try to push ourselves. From reading your response (as well as what I already know ^-^ ) it is clear that you do push yourself hard and you are very dedicated to what you do.:)
    As for the second part, my interpretation was similar to yours but I really liked the way you stated it. It is really interesting how everyone has pretty much the same ideas except supported in different ways.
    Great job(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kell, I really liked the way you responded to this prompt. It was really easy to understand and you had empathy for your readers, because like Ari, I was able to connect to what you were talking about. Your introduction was also a good hook, by having an antithesis by explaining that you have the opposite of the students at Crenshaw - a fairly good life. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kellie,

    I really liked how you went deep into how it related to you. It added a personal touch to your essay that I felt was really important. It put things into perspective for us as readers. It also seemed to put things into perspective for you as well, which shows your growth as the author of this piece. I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone else! i liked your first paragraph, it already had me excited for what I was going to read! I really liked that fact that you chose dedication as your talent, because I think that totally fits you :) especially because I know you, I witness your everday craziness, and I admire how you are able to do newswritting, 4 very challenging courses, soccer, and work. Your like superwoman :) but your really did a great job & I am proud of you for seeing what you do, and that it is alot. You feel very accomplished for managing everything! Your response to the Jesus prompt thing was very good, i liked how you said, its more than on one level, or something like that, I think its great you pointed out that there is a deeper meaning to the story than just what is said in the prompt. great job like always :)

    ReplyDelete