Friday, January 8, 2010

And Still We Rise Assignment 2

After reading the book review, I expect my experience and feelings to be similar to that of Welch’s. Like him, I live in a relatively affluent neighborhood. Although living in Hawaii provides me the advantage of living amongst different races and ethnicities, I am ignorant in the fact that I have not experienced hardship or discrimination or anything of the sort. I think that when I read the book and I see all the unimaginable hardships that teenagers, the same age as me, have to go through to survive, I’ll feel extremely sympathetic, but sorry that I can’t connect on a deeper level because I have not experienced anything near what those seniors go through.

I also think I’ll learn to better appreciate my education and what kind of life has been given to me. Like Welch, I’d put myself in their shoes and see if I’d be able to survive, but truthfully, I know I wouldn’t. I live in a non-abusive home where I am fortunate to have both my parents who both have steady jobs and they provide for me so I can focus my priorities on school and other extracurricular activities I have the opportunity to engage in. To imagine a life where I struggle to excel in school, let alone even afford to attend school, is hard because my life is virtually at the other end of the spectrum from the lives of South-Central students.

Before, I would listen to friends recommending books to me. They wouldn’t give a detail description like Welch. But if they said, “Yeah it was really good, I really liked it,” I would check out the book for myself. I figured that if my friend liked it, whom I had similar interests with, I would like the book as well.

I usually don’t read book reviews before buying a book, but after reading a book review like this one, I should probably start. If I read this review and if I wasn’t assigned to read the book, I probably would pick it up, just because Welch made me feel like I could connect, somehow, to this book. I can’t wait to finish reading the book and I hope I can feel close to what Welch felt—better understanding the lives of other people. The review made the book sound like a real eye-opener and I can’t wait to see what the end is like.

5 comments:

  1. Kel,
    I totally agree with what you said. Appreciation of the education we automatically assume as a right and the parents that help us out so much so we can do extracurricular activities don't give us the hardness and courage to live in a place like South Central. We wouldn't even have to imagine a life like this if it weren't for this book.
    Great job on this assignment! I found your review of Welch's review really interesting and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree with the fact that it is sooo soooo easy to be ignorant of the fact that there are places like South Central in America. Although I only read 61 pages of this, I do feel appreciative of my education.

    I never read reviews too but like you, I liked Welch's review. Maybe I should start reading reviews from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agreed with what you said about how these kids that our are age are going through so many crazy things that we don't even image so it's hard to really understand their lives, yet it is easy and even natural to be sympathetic.

    I also agree with what you said about how you think this will make you appreciate your education more because it has really made me think about how easy I actually have it compared to these students and that there is no excuse not to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kellie!
    I really liked how you compared yourself with Welch and used that to explain your understanding of his review. I was thinking a lot of the same things when I was reading the book review, like about how fortunate many of us in Mililani are. Even many of those students who are on the lower side of the spectrum in Mililani probably aren't up against as much issues as the most fortunate students at Crenshaw have to face. I also like how none of us actually read book reviews except for this one! :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is some deep stuff! You go girl :) I totally love your word choice. Affluent, sounds very classy! But anyways getting back to the review, i like how you admit that you would not be able to survive if you, like Welch wanted or wondered what it would be like to live in their shoes. I too agree that I would not be able to survive. I also agree with you about the fact that in Mililani we aren't brought up with much issues at all, and that we would all have to struggle alot harder to get where we are today. Excellent job, i can't wait to see how the book ends either!

    ReplyDelete